Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pictman

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2008
GB
When setting up a remote desktop connection to a computer on my LAN, how do I identify the individual computer? I fully recognise this may be a stupid question but I have to ask it anyway.

Thanks for reading this.

By pc name if you know it or IP address. If your on the same LAN then PC name will work fine just make sure RDP is enabled on that pc. The other thing you can use is logmein.com, is is free for personal use and you do not need to open any ports.

Thanks both for that. I am trying to connect a client in a remote location to an individual host on my office LAN. My issue is how to address the individual host pc on the client as the pcs on the LAN have a common gateway in the router.

Thanks for reading this.

The easiest way would be logmein.com They offer a free service and it bypasses a firewall. If you want to use Remote Desktop the you will beed to open port 3389 and in your firewall point that to the pc needing access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back