Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhoffman3

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2009
US
We have 175 machines on our network. I found a few machines on our network that had remote desktop enabled. We use logmein.com for remote access and we want to make sure that all machines have remote desktop disabled. Is there a utility i can run to scan our network to see what machines have this enabled. So I don't have to go around to each machine and inspect everyone

Is there a reason you want this disabled, it doesn't interfere with logmein.

we have had issues with non-IT people remoting into users machines. if i turn of the service for this on all machines and use log me in atleast i control access.

plus if remote desktop is enable its just another port opened that doesn't need to be.

yea but anyone behind the firewall would still be able to get to it right?

That is correct. What you can do then is from an MMC console add services of each pc then shut down the service.

>we have had issues with non-IT people remoting into users machines

Erm, if they are not administrators and are not members of the Remote Desktop Users group they shouldn't be able to.

It can also be controlled through group policies

jfhoffman3, Lets start from the beginning please explain your current infrastructure?

We have 8 locations...all locations vpn into our main location. Domain controller and all other servers are in main locations. We use sonicwall for our VPN equipment

200 machines across all 8 locations

Ok so your running AD and assuming all users are domain users then they shouldn't be able to RDP to any machines. In XP RD Turned off unless the admin turns it on and even then only an administrator can log on. If users are logging on then somewhere someone has admin right or the pc's are set to allow user to manage them. If you are not using Terminal Server the look at the following.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back