Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netomaniac

Technical User
Jun 8, 2006
US
Hi,

I am a novice in the field of networking. I don't know what I am asking is a stupid question or not. I would like to do remote desktop to one of my freinds PC. But the problem is he doesn't have a Static IP address. His PC is connected to a router as mine and in this case the IP addressess assigend is only internal to router.

When we wanted to do remote desktop using Windows netmeeting, it was asking for the Romete IP address, but we could not give one because it was not a routable IP address (it is internal IP address assigned by the router). Is there any way around it. Can we still do remote desktop. Or we will have to ask the ISP to provide us with the static IP address.

Thanks and regards,

Give your computer a static IP instead of obtain. You can get the DNS numbers out of your router from the status page. Set up the router to port forward to that IP address. You don't need a static IP for the router. You can go to a website such as IPChicken.com or Whatismyip.com, and they will return the current IP you are connected to the internet through to use for remote access.
If your router\gateway is 192.168.1.254 then give your computer a static IP 192.168.1.10, just change the last number and setup the DNS and you will be ready. (you may need to disable the windows firewall, not sure)

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Thanks for the info, but I am on a wireless LAN, if I do port forwarding to the DNS IP will that have any effect on other people who are using the WLAN.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi Dtsman,

with very little knowledge and lots of questions!!! you should have known my level of expertice by now. I tried your advices. I assigned my computer with a static IP address from the wireless router I am using....for example 192.168.1.30. My router is not allowing me to port forward to any other address other than the LAN address. You suggested me to port forward to the DNS IP is that right..

through some light....on my ingnorance..

Thanks vinu

DISMAN gave you sound advice. WHat you want to do though is statically assign your DNS servers to your computer. If you statically input your IP, you need to statically add your DNS in the same window. What you need to port forward is 3389 (the port of remote desktop) to the internal IP, but if you say that YOU want to remote desktop into your friends pc, then these procedures need to be done on the distant end side with port forwarding going to your friends pc so that you may have access. is a good link that gives you a name to your ip and after you install the program from them they will automatically keep your dynamic ISP address updated to the name of your choosing. THink of it like dynamic DNS. Whenever your ISP releases your IP and issues you a new one, then the name you chose will update in DNS to reflect that.

How do I statically assign my pc with the DNS IP. I don't know the commands to do this.

The same place that you configure your static IP. Below that is 2 options and they are to obtain IP automatically or statically assign them. You would have to get your DNS IP off of your router

Thanks,,

I have assigned my comp with the static IP and also the DNS serever IP address. Now when I do Ipconfig/all I get the static IP of the comp, and the new DNS addresses. Before DNS was 192.168.1.1.

I loged into my router and then tried to protforward to the static IP of my computer which is 192.168.1.10, the default prots were 1720, and they never allow me to change that to 3389, i don't know why.......

Do you definately need to do a Remote Desktop? If not would the Remote Assistance work? It doesnt rely on Static IP addresses.... you can use MSN Messenger to work it, or send the invite via an email.

If not, just ignore me! :eek:)

James O'Neill
IT Manager
Saint-Gobain Ecophon Ltd

Hey James..using remote assistance can we control the comp on the other side....if that's the case then great..

But in any case I think I should know how to do Remote desktop........????

Thanks..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back