Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozlow

MIS
Mar 3, 2003
US
I have a Win2000 workstation at work. It is not server.

I VPN connect from home from my PC running XP Pro.

I have been unable to get Remote Desktop to work. My co-workers think it is because it is the workstation edition, not server.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

If you can not get there from here, any cheap software I can try?

Thanks....

Your co-workers are wrong.
XP Professional fully supports Remote Desktop.

We need more details from you:

[li]Error code numbers and full error text[/li]
[li]Firewalls on your Home end and Office end
[li]Antivirus software installed[/li][/li]
[li]VPN client software installed. (You do not VPN and then remote Desktop unless you are very clever, particularly with CISCO VPN client software)[/li]

I may have mislead you. I can Remote Desktop to Servers at work from my XP at home.

I can not Remote Desktop to my Workstation running Win 2000.

The Workstation is running Symantic AntiVirus 9.0.0.338

It is CISCO VPN

One of my co-workers is able to VPN in and Remote Desktop to his workstation. But he is running XP to XP.

The error I am getting :
Remote Connections might not be enabled.

I found several different ways to enable (depending on OS type) but none for WIN2000 workstation....

Windows 2000 does not support Remote Desktop. You can install the Remote Desktop software on your 2000 PC and Remote Desktop to a PC running XP but you will not be able to Remote Desktop into a 2000 PC. If you want to remote into a 2000 PC, best bet is to install VNC, my personal favorite of VNC is Ultra VNC because it supports file transfer.

I loaded down realvcn at work and will do the same when I get home... Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back