Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayee

Technical User
May 27, 2004
GB
Hi,

When I'm accessing my PC at a remote location using Windows XP's Remote Desktop (which is great !), is the host PC locked or blanked so that someone there cannot inferere with what I'm doing or even see it ?

Regards,
Jay/UK

Yep, that is why I either use pcanywhere or vnc. Last time I played with it that was the only way it worked.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Hi,

I downloaded VNC and have it installed on the PC I want to access, but couldn't get a connection (connection timed out - 10060). Which is why I'm using Remote Desktop ... but I don't like the idea of NOT having the host screen locked or blanked.

Can you help me get VNC to work if that's what I need ?

Regards,
Jay/UK

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know (tho' I suspected it didn't lock or blank the host screen).

I have VNC installed on the host PC but haven't been able to get a connection (connection timed out 10060), which is why I've been using Remote Desktop which works fine.

Can you help me resolve the VNC connection problem, if VNC is what I need to have a secure connection ?

Regards,
Jay/UK

I think there is a misunderstanding here. If you want the host machine to be blanked out, then you use remote desktop. I am not sure if VNC will do that. When you install vnc on the remote machine, usually I set it to run as a service through administrative tools, it has to have a password set. You may need to reboot after setting the password. You then load it on your machine, all you do is type the name of the pc you wish to see that is running vnc. Depending on which ver. you are running, regular or Ultra, make sure you have either the app mode running or the server mode running on the remote machine before you launch viewer on yours.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Hi,

If Remote Desktop blanks the screen of the host PC, then that's exactly what I wanted, and I don't need to worry about VNC at all.

... which is good news, because I can get VNC to work within the LAN, but haven't succeeded across the internet).

Regards,
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back