Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop XP - cannot connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellman23

Programmer
Apr 5, 2004
US
Hello, I've been trying for 2 days to connect remotely and I'm having no luck. I hope somewhere here can help:

Here's my setup:

I have Wireless Router (WRT54G) with one computer (Windows 98) connected to the router via ethernet cable. The other computer (Windows XP) is connected via wireless bridge that is connected to the NIC. I have setup the router as follows:

All IP's start at 192.1.168.150.
The XP Machine (running remote desktop) I have setup to always have the IP of 192.1.168.150.
I have set Port Forwarding on Port 3389 to go to 192.1.168.150 (The XP Machine).

When I run the Remote Desktop Client on Windows 98 and try to connect either via LAN 192.168.1.150 or WAN 68.62.xx.xx I always get the same error message about client can't connect because the computer is busy or blah,blah...

I'm fairly certain I have setup my XP Machine to be running desktop so I don't think that's the problem. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

PS Not sure if this matters, but since I am running wireless I do have WEP as well as the Wireless MAC Filter setup to allow only the PC's on my network to access the wireless router.

First, is your 'xp' the Pro version?

Second, is your router acting as a DHCP server? - make sure there is no overlap between DHCP addresses and staticly assigned ones.

Third, how are you trying to connect to the xp machine? - by name or by IP address?

Smah,

Thanks for the response to my question. Fortunately, I have figured it out. My problem was Zone Alarm was deny access. I upgraded to the Pro version and turn on Port Forwarding and all was good...now I just need to figure out how to get out from my firewall at work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back