Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop won't connect!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonQ0105

Technical User
Jun 6, 2004
GB
Setup:

- PC1 (Blueyonder 1Mbps, Windows XP Pro SP2, Remote Desktop Enabled, Incomming Connections with Manual IP Assignment Enabled, Windows Firewall set to allow PPTP, Remote Desktop etc.)

- PC2 (Blueyonder 1Mbps, Windows XP Pro SP2, Remote Desktop Enabled, Incomming Connections with Manual IP Assignment Enabled, Windows Firewall set to allow PPTP, Remote Desktop etc.))

- I open Remote Desktop on PC1.
- I type in the IP of PC2 (sss.ppp.nnn.xxx).
- Error: "Could not Connect to Remote Computer".

Damn. Let's try the other way around...

- I open Remote Desktop on PC2.
- I type in the IP of PC1 (sss.ppp.nnn.xxx).
- Error: "Could not Connect to Remote Computer".

Hmm..let's try setting up a VPN.

- VPN Connected Successfully (PC1->PC2 or PC2->PC1, both work)

Can I view the other PC that I'm connected to?

- Start->Run->CMD
- "Ping <IP Address Assigned to VPN Server>"
- Error 65
- Fine. Open My Network Places.
- Click "View Workgroup Computers"
- Open Workgroup "Home" (PC2 and PC1 belong to a "Home" Workgroup)
- Only the Local PC is shown. Grrr.

This is weird. Successful VPN, but cannot view anything on the other PC or connect through Remote Desktop...

One last try..

- (Remote Desktop Web Connection)
- Try to connect PC1 -> PC2. Doesn't work no matter whether I'm connected via VPN or not.
- Try to connect PC2 -> PC1. WORKS NORMALLY AND VIA VPN!!

OK...now I'm more confused.

Can anyone please analyse this and find out any problems please? I really don't understand why this just won't work except for that one circumstance....

Many Thanks for any help.

I've asked a friend to connect to both PCs through Remote Desktop via the internet...and here's the results:

- PC1: Can connect fine.
- PC2: "Cannot Connect to Remote Computer"

Right, so now I know that it's PC2 causing the problems...but I'm sure they're set up the same...and I've tried turning off all firewalls (including Windows XP Firewall) too but it didn't help...can anyone think of something I may have missed?

Thanks.

do you have a router, if so port forward is an issue. are these running off the same router or across the net. vpn and remote use different ports so likely there is an issue with the ports.

Both use an ordinary modem to connect to the internet (Blueyonder 1Mbps Cable). Both only use the Windows Firewall, which has Remote Desktop Enabled.

Both companies of the Modems say that they have no built-in firewalls or port blocking.

Not a total answer but..

"Try to connect PC1 -> PC2. Doesn't work no matter whether I'm connected via VPN or not.
- Try to connect PC2 -> PC1. WORKS NORMALLY AND VIA VPN!!"

I suspect you are losing packets PC1 to PC2

Use the pathping command using the IP address of the remote VPN machine from pc2 to pc1. This will show if packets are being lost. I would also do it from PC1 to PC2

Adjust your MTU, with tcp optimizer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back