Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote desktop within LAN is not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcllvc

Programmer
Jul 12, 2001
US
I am getting this error message, "The client could not connect to the remote computer", when I try to remote desktop to another computer within my home network. The thing is it was working about a month ago, and I didn't remote desktop for a while, then now it doesn't work. I tempory disabled the Norton Internet Security but it still not get it to work.
Can somebody give me some hints, please?

Make sure Windows Firewall is disabled, this has happened to me.

I checked it. It's off. Any other thougts.

Ok are you using the pc name to connect to or the IP address? Also see if you can ping both.

I try pc name and ip address(192.168.x.x), both don't work. But I can ping them with both pc name or ip address. There is one thing I don't know why is when I ping another machine using the pc name, it doesn't show the internal ip address (192.168.x.x), it show something 209.86.x.x. It only happen when I ping it via pc name.

Any thought??

Thanks dberg35.

Is the NIC for that PC static or dynamic ? If it's static, make sure it's gateway is correct. I had a problem a few times where the onsite "tech" fat fingered the Gateway IP for new servers that are being pre-setup before I can log in and do the rest.

I think it's dynamic. I am using cable modem and the network connection details show the default gateway is 192.168.2.1; DNS serve also 192.168.2.1; also there are lease obtained and expires dates.

Well go to each pc in your network and try to ping to the other, also do an ipconfig /flushdns. It sounds like an DNS issue stopping this. You also could assign a static ip to all you pc's and see if that resolves the problem.

ok, finally got some progress. I can remote desktop to another computer using the ip address, but I can't use the machine name. It seem it is a DNS issue. I did ipconfig /flushdns, but that doesn't help.

Any other though??

Thanks.

Only other thing I can think of is to make sure your router is up to date. It wouldn't hurt to update it if it isn't, but make sure you back it up before you do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back