Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Will Not Connect Via IP, But....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylan

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
I have a Win 2000 Pro machine that has been running remote desktop to connect to a server for several years. One day that staff comes in and it won't connect. It gets the error about the server being too busy or network problems preventing the connection.

I can ping the server 192.168.1.10 from this Win 2000 machine. All the other computers are connecting just fine via RDP.

Here's the strange part... I can connect with the FQDN or the NetBIOS name of the server. If I put dc01 or dc01.domain.local the in the RDP connection box it connects right up.

Ideas?

1) Check if the subnet has changed
2) Has the server's address changed
3) Is 192.168.1.10 a different server?

Ping dc01 - does it come out as a different address?

I'm not on site right now, but...

As for the subnet changing, the user didn't have admin rights to the machine.

The server's IP address hasn't changed.

DC01 = 192.168.1.10

Since I am able to ping the name and IP just fine I was thinking that the issue was some sort or RDP related cache/corruption. I even deleted the default.rdp file in case it was somehow corrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back