Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Web Security (How much is too much)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookcr

MIS
Aug 12, 2002
US
Here are my questions.

I currently have a Pix 515 set up and a VPN established. Thru the cisco VPN client I am unable to VPN directly to my XP Pro SP2 Workstations. Today I started reading more about the RDWS and thought that might work for securly connecting to machines on my network from home.

Microsoft does a lot of talking about the security built into RDP 5.1 and it has 128 bit encyption. I wanted to make sure the connection was secure so I was going to do the following:

Create a 128 bit certificate for my TSWEB site then require authentication before you would even see the RDP web screen. From there you would be able to then access the workstations and servers. On my Pix I created an ACL rule to permit any to the outside address that I want to use and gave it port 443 for the certificate. I am unable to connect to the page from outside the firewall. It works internally. Am I missing anything? I Nat the aaddress back to an internal IP address 10.10.10.x for example.

Anyhelp would be appreciated. If this is the wrong forum I apologize. I did also post in the XP Pro forum.

Thank in advance.

Rook

Its because you need to have port 3389 open because RDP uses that port to connect. Which in my mind is a whole. Microsoft needs to make it so you can connect over 443

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back