Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

aames

Technical User
Sep 17, 2004
CA
I have a computer running Windows Server 2003 setup through IIS for Remote Desktop Web Connection. Both ports 3389 and ports 80 have been forwarded to the server which has a Static IP Address.

Now, heres the issue. It all works fine from inside the LAN. From any computer, I type "externalipaddress/tsweb" and I'm through (with external ip address being the external ip address.. I then type the name of the computer I want to connect to, enter my username and type the domain name. All connects fine.

I try connecting from anywhere else (including computers directly connected to the net) and although I can access the Remote Desktop Web Connection page, when I try to connect to a computer, it says it can't find the specified computer. I've tried both computer names and ip addresses as well as connecting through the servers domain name and just its ip address.

I am able to connect to the server using the end user Remote Desktop client fine from anywhere. Just not the web connect interface.

Any ideas?

Well I've made the changes - now I just have to get away from my home lan

Hm, still didn't work - any other ideas?

Where are you trying from? Many locations behind firewalls block RDC (or all) ports, so you cannot make the connection. You should try form a dial-up that you know is not blocked.

I'm trying from an unblocked computer connected directly to the net. And the Remote Desktop Client works fine so it has to be something with the way I'm configuring the web client.

I'm actually encountering the same issue. I have WinXP Pro and I can RD into _any_ unit on my LAN while at home. But even if I go over my father's house and attempt to login from there (he also runs XP Pro), I cannot connect... at all. I get the standard "check with your admin" message.

Now, I've got IIS running on port 8888 and in my Linksys WRT54G I've got ports 8888 and 3389 fwding to the correct box. I just wish I knew what was causing this. I thought SP2 might fix it but no dice. And I don't run ZoneAlarm or any AV software on this box (yes, I'm crazy).

Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back