Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop vs. VNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdahook

Technical User
Oct 22, 2008
US
I have a server that I have been able to RDP into for the past couple of months, I had an issue where I needed to reboot this server recently and ever since reboot I am unable to connect via rdp but can connect via vnc. Get the "can't connect to remote computer' error via rdp.

? from a Telephone guy....

What type of server? What remote desktop application? Linux or Windows or Other?

Did the IP address or name change?
If you are a running Linux did you do a major distribution upgrade?

Make sure when you log on to the server the remote desktop is enabled. it might have switched to disabled for some reason.

Thanks for the replies...the server is an Avaya MAS, the remote desktop application is Remote Desktop Connection and the server is a Windows 2003 server which has NOT had an IP address or name change...
I have just verified that said server does have remote desktop enabled...

??

scratch that you can ping it if you can vnc but can you remote into any other computer or is it just the server you cant remote into?

ok so

1. remote desktop is enabled
2. its only the server
3. ip address and name havent been changed

can you remote into the server from a diffrent pc? also have you tried remoteing into a pc from the server?

its on his network logmein.com would be a good for something offsite but since its internal RDP would be the best thing to use next to VNC or dameware.

Is the "terminal services" service running?
Is there any errors showing in event veiwer?

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back