Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop vs Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvidia

MIS
Nov 15, 2002
ID
Dear all,

I am still newbie on server environment, so I would ask to all of you...

1. What is the difference between Terminal Services and Remote Desktop? Are these two products have the same funtion?
My opinion is between two products have the same function but have the different name which Remote Desktop is already installed by default on Windows Server 2003 for host and client function, Terminal Services we can installed by add components on W2K Server.

2. If I already installed Terminal services components on my W2K Server as a host, how do the clients connect to the host (W2K with Terminal Services)? What software application like a Remote Desktop software should I deploy on my clients?

3. How many concurrently user (client) can access in the same time with Host ?

4. How about the connection quality if we have a host and clients in different region which connected by leased line ?

Thanks for your kind support and attention

Best Regards,
nvidia

Terminal Server is a remote login, in a way.
Remote desktop takes over an existing desktop on XP.
You can use Remote Desktop Xp to connect to a terminal server.
That server can host multiple connections, how many .. depends on your hardware and connection.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Terminal Services is the service which runs on a Terminal Server running W2K or W2K3 Server OS.
You can access the terminal server by utilizing the RDP Client that is built into the XP Pro OS. If you have W2k Pro or earlier you can still download the RDP client from MS and load it on the PC and access it that way.
All MS W2k and W2K3 server products come with 2 terminal server connections allowed for Administration purposes. If you want to start connecting users and setup policies for what programs they can access, then you have to convert the server to application mode and purchase CAL's for each device or user that will connect. Then you get into the whole MS Licensing issue. See the MS website for all the particulars on that.

Lengthy but worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back