Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop VPN and WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi, I am having a problem connecting to my work computer from my home with remote desktop. I use dsl to connect a VPN over the internet with the computer. Then I try to log onto my computer using remote desktop but it just doesnt work, it give me a black screen (the screen where i should see my work screen) and after awhile it says remote connection was broken, please try again. I am new at this and I had it working but i set up my work computer to share his internet and now it wont work. Can anyone help me on this? If you need any more information to answer i will provide as best I can.

Thanks,
Dano

This is what I had to do. If you have server access at your work you need to access your user name, then you need to give yourself "dial-up" access then "allow access" for your name. After that you go to your Network Connections at home and Create a New Connection. Go through the wizard using "Connect to the network at my workplace". Next you will use the "Virtual Private Network connection". Then you enter your servers name, after that you enter the static IP address of the server's WAN, then finish. This will give you access to your work's network. This way you can use your user name and password to enter your work's network. After you are connected you need to go to Remote Desktop and enter the IP address of your servers LAN. When this is entered and accepted it will prompt you for your user name and password again which will then show you your work's desktop. I hope this helps if not let me know. Like I said this is what I had to do and it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back