Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote desktop / term services 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnrmcc

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
US
OK, if I want to log onto a users pc using term serv / remote desktop to show them something...but I want their user account to stay logged in, and not blank out the screen...whats the trick?

Remote Assistance, but it will only work on XP clients. For other os's you'll need a third party tool.

but they have to initiate this, or can I jump in to provide without having them ask.

The user can initiate this through a variety of methods or you can offer assistance (which the user will need to accept). There is no way with this software to just 'jump in'.

Before you start though, you will want to make sure the user's machine is set to allow this computer to be controlled remotely (right-click My Computer, Properties, Remote tab, Advanced button).

you are better off purchasing a third party solution like PC anywhere or another remote control software.

yea, we have in the past. its really pricy, and not necessary. i would just use vnc.

John, you mentioned VNC. Are you having problems with it or just researching another technology? We use VNC pretty extensively and it works great.

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

You can offer remote assistance by making a shortcut to the link below. You still need the user to click yes to allow you to remote assist but they do not need to initiate it themselves.

hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/Unsolicitedrcui.htm

You will need to be an administrator on the machine you are trying to assist and it also needs some group policy set up. The Microsoft article below explains in further detail.

Hope this helps

alex

Get RealVNC. It is FREE and works great for remote assistance. It requires not user interaction.

Scott Alberd

Dont forget NetMeeting, which is included with Windows. Connect to a PC, they hit escape to get control back, whilst you continue to watch what they are doing..

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Got the same Problem, PcAnywhere and VNC are to slow.

I'm testing on two XP PC's in the same workgroup. On one i activated the policy and added a user workgroup\user.

If I try to connect with the link form BIGALINWALES , I get the error that the client does not exist.

Did someone get this working ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back