Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop -Slow printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbosko

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
US
Can someone explain to me what you might think the cause is here.

We have a Win2K3 Server running Terminal Services - DSL internet connection. The clients are in a very remote site using either a dialup or a satellite connection (we're trying both).

Say I start up a Remote Desktop connection and print a document to the session printer (printer is attached locally [lpt1] to this client computer). From the Remote Desktop connection, I can see the print job quickly get spooled, then go to 'printing' status. When I swap over to my true windows session, I check the print driver and see the job 'spooling' from the 'remote desktop redirected printer doc'.

It will sit in this state for more than 5 minutes before actually going into a 'printing' state - and then printing to the printer.

The print jobs are simple text documents (no graphics / no color). 150kb or so.

Why does it take so long to spool? Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

Thanks a ton - this has been going on for such a long time....

Mike

I am having the exact same issue. Have you had any luck finding a solution?

These folks are using a DOS application - which seems to be brutal on the connection as it is.

I found a DOS utility called TAME - installed that, and the problems was resolved quite well.

hth, -Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back