Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscotx

Technical User
Jul 25, 2007
US
Hello, I have two offices located at different locations... in one of the stores I have DSL connection with a server and four client computers... At the other location I have Satellite connection with a server and three client computers... I want to use Windows 2003 RDP to connect to the location with satellite connection... do you guys think this will be fine or will it be to slow??? I know that using satellite connection on a VPN is even slower than dial-up... Any suggestions??

I wanted to know if someone already tried it before, that way I can be aware of the pros and cons... Thanks

Do you want to use Windows 2003 Terminal Services in Admin Mode? That should be fine with the connection. Terminal Server only sends the mouse clicks and key strokes to the server and send the display back to the remote desktop. All the processing is done on the server. I don't have a satellite connection but it should be fine.

Thanks, I appreciate your responses...

I had a satellite connection up till a couple of years ago and at that time it was not possible to vpn across the satellite to my work locations. I dont remember the technical bits of it, but I know I was told by the satellite provider that it couldnt be done.. i think it was something about the latency causing the connection not to be maintainable. Bottom line was that I never had a chance to see how slow the vpn across satellite would have been because it was impossible to vpn at all. but that was a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back