Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisker9

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2003
US
I have set up a Remote desktop connection between two XP computers. I was wondering if there was a way to still be able to use the host pc at the same time a remote user is logged on. I have accomplished this using 2003 Server with terminal services. Is this possible with XP as the host?? THANKS!!

Hi,

This isn't possible as far as I know, and MS's reasoning for it is because XP is licensed for one concurrent user (conveniently forgetting the fact that the fast user switching facility allows easy switching between concurrent users of course), but there may be some ways of getting around this that I am not aware of.

My own preference would be to get a VNC program which would let you have your remote user access the desktop at the same time - but they would have to use the same things.

John

jrbarnett's comments are correct. XP Pro is licensed for only one user at a time.

The only way around this presently is to use the Remote Assistance feature and request remote assistance. But someone has to be at the console you are connecting to in order to accept the invitation and grant keyboard/mouse control to the remote user. Then it functions like a pcAnywhere/VNC solution.

Downside is that Remote Assistance invitations expire eventually. All in all a bad solution. You could install Windows Server 2003 as your workstation OS and disable all the unnecessary server-type services, giving you up to 3 connections (1 console and 2 remote RDP). Here is an article about how to use Windows 2003 Server as a desktop OS:

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. Actually, I think installing Server 2003 is the route I want to go after some looking. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back