Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop on two computers on lan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2004
US
I am having a problem and hopefully someone can help. I have a desktop & notebook computer both running windows xp pro on a d-link 624 wireless router. They are each assigned a static ip address on the router. On the notebook, i have RDC setup, and this works when I connect to it at work. I use a redirect from no-ip.com. I am now wanting to connect to the desktop computer as well from work. How would I go about doing this? Are there certain ports I need to forward? Thanks in advance

Your router will only be able to forward port 3389 to 1 machine. If I understand correctly, this must already be fowarded to the IP address of the notebook (otherwise it wouldn't be working). Now, your choices are:

1. Access the administration settings of the router each time and change the forwarding of port 3389 to whichever computer you want to access.
2. RD into 1 machine (the notebook if you want) and then use the RD Client on that machine to connect to the other - sort of daisy-chaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back