Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Log In Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranebill

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2002
US
Ok...

I have a Domain on a win 2k server. All workstations are XP pro. I want to connect to another computer via remote desktop.

Now I can connect as myself(domain admin) but it will log off the user.

When I try to connect as that user I get the error:

The local policy of this system does not permit you to log in interactively

How can I fix this?

Bill

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 289289

Here is the answer to this...

Bill

There is a provision under Windows 2003 server to do this, but not with any previous server or client release.

The Remote Desktop logon does not permit a "shared" session as you would like.

You might consider some of the VNC freeware alternatives. These are very strong products in the alternative to RD.

I like "TightVNC", but there are several flavors.

I should note in the interest of completeness, that Net Meeting is the MS alternative in this instance.

I wasnt nessarily looking for a shared connection per say because we could use Remote Assistance for that, I think, I just didnt want to log off the user per say if i needed to access the machine.

Bill

Let me ammend that slightly.

You could use Remote Assistance rather than Remote Desktop, but it requires an active user at the remote site to agree to the session.

There is no way to connect without logging off the user? I do it with Remote Desktop as we speak. However it is not a "shared" session. I fully take over the machine using the user login and pw of the user currently logged in. If I logged in as Admin then it would log off that user and close everything they had open which is what i was trying to avoid.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back