Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enkrypted

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
US
I wanted to get opinions/recommendations on what you would do in this situation:

I recently had to split a network in to two separate networks. Both networks share the same internet connection. They have a Cisco router provided by their ISP. I have a cable going from the outbound ISP port on the ISP provided router into the WAN port on a Linksys router.

From the Linksys router there are 2 cables that are plugged into the LAN ports. One cable goes to a SOHO Sonicwall Firewall/Router. The other cable goes to a Netgear router. Both the SOHO and Netgear routers have different static IP addresses assigned to them from the ISP.

On the SOHO Firewall/Router, there is another cable that goes into a switch and all the clients on that network are plugged into the switch. The clients on that network have no issues at all

On the Netgear router, the clients plug into the LAN ports of that router.

The only issue that appears to be happening is every so often for the Netgear router, it needs to be unplugged/plugged back in to regain internet connectivity. I have tried with a different router and the same problem exists.

I am thinking this could be a DHCP related issue, but would like some opinions/recommendations on the best type of setup for a situation like this. TIA!

Enkrypted
A+

Was there a reason for this split? If your in the same building you could have used VLANS. As for your issue it could be a DNS issue not resolving. Also you state that the Netgear router is connected to another router, this is typically not recommended both could be competing against each other. What model Netgear and other router are they?

There are two companies operating out of one office. They wanted to split the networks apart for security purposes. As for the routers, the Netgear router is a WGT624 and the other router is a Linksys (I can't remember the specific model. It's not wireless and I want to say it is the BEFSR41 model)

Enkrypted
A+

Obviously your setup works and I can understand the split but two routers connected can cause issues. If the Netgear is only for wireless then get an Access Point for that. What you would be better of doing is having one router and a switch that can do VLANS and this will give you what you want. Again back to your issue which is doing DHCP and which does the internet connection go into?

How this should work is the other router receives the internet and does DHCP for all clients and the Netgear should be strictly wireless and forwards DHCP from the other.

Yeah unfortunately I don't think that getting new router/switches are going to be able to be accomplished...which is why I had to do the type of setup I did to make it work. Just hoping there is another way it can be done successfully

Enkrypted
A+

Are you running two different IP subnets for each business like the following.
Business1
192.168.0.X
Business2
10.10.10.X

What are your routers configs? Also your might want to do a firmware update for the Netgear.

you say the netgear has a static ip, what makes you think of a dhcp problem.
to get that straight, they have one isp, wich provides 1 line, wich is then splitted into 2 (how? vlan?) with static ip´s (range/mask?).
one network has no problems at all, the netgear has to be rebooted now and then.
when the connection is down, can you get in the netgear webinterface?
something of interest in the netgear error-log?
try to cool the netgear (fan) and see if the problem persists
do the firmware update

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

dberg35 - Yes each router have different subnets. The SOHO router gives IP's of 10.10.X.X and the Netgear router gives out 192.168.X.X

As for the firmware update, it happens with both routers I have tried for that particular network, which leads me to believe it's not a firmware issue

Lemon13 - Yes there is 1 ISP line which goes into the Linksys router's WAN port. That router has the other two routers plugged into the LAN ports. The 2 routers in the LAN ports each are assigned IP's from the ISP.

When the connection is down, access to the router configuration is unaccessible.

As mentioned before, the problem remains even after swapping out the routers

Enkrypted
A+

Well it sounds like a NAT issue and like stated before connecting router to router is good. What about using one router but statically assigning all pc's their own IP assuming you have a small infrastructure? This way you have only one point of failure for internet.

Yeah that is one of the options I presented to them, but they are persistant about each company having a separate IP address to distinguish each company and clients.

Enkrypted
A+

The still can one be 192.168.X.X and they other 10.10.X.X unless they want separate internet IP's. Otherwise running all these routers will end up causing you more issues in the future. Do you have a server running AD? Also you can pick up a network switch that will do VLANS inexpensively like D-Link or Linksys.

Yeah they want separate intenet IP addresses. I've already brought up several options to them such as setting specific workgroups, 1 router with different subnets, setting up a vlan. They seem to not be budging on the separate IP resolution and are convinced there is a way to set it up so both networks are stable.

Enkrypted
A+

I do understand your situation as my employer doesn't like to spend money on IT. Did your ISP assign you different default gatways as well DNS servers can be the same? Below is how your should look.

Main Router should just be a DMZ/Pass through.

Business1
ISP
IP 70.70.70.70
Gate 70.70.70.71
Internal IP
192.X.X.X

Business2
ISP
IP 70.70.70.69
Gate 70.70.70.68
Internal IP
10.X.X.X

Lemom13,
I would normally agree but he stated that he has switched them out and had the same issue. I am thinking it is a config issue somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back