Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote desktop into more than just the terminal server???

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh0227

MIS
May 10, 2005
US
We have two servers, one running terminal services, and the other one is the main server which runs exchange, and all other services. We have a router set up to forward remote desktop (port 3389) to the terminal services server, however I am trying to find a way to log onto the main server remotely, without using a third party software (vnc, pc anywhere, etc...) Is it possible for me to use the windows default remote desktop application to remote into both servers from my home pc? The terminal servers ip is 192.168.xx.205, and the main server (root domain controller) is 192.168.xx.254. I log into the domain server via a vnc application currently, however it is so slow....
The only way that I can access the router remotely is by going through the terminal server and typing in the 192.168.xx.1.
Anyone know if this is possible (meaning accessing both servers from a remote machine)?

yes if you have 2 IPs
or still use the concept of connecting into one server (1 public IP) then into other from the original...all u need is ts client.
...depends on how many IPs you have and router model.
All the best!

:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Just curious, what's the performance like when you remote desktop into the main server from your terminal server (assuming you have done this)? From experience it goes much faster than a VNC connection.

Claudius (What certifications??)

If you RD into your terminal server then RD to another server on the LAN then the performance is just as fast as your initial connection to the terminal server, i've done this to look at our servers a number of times.

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

When I try to remote into the main server from the one that I can remote into, I get the famous "the client could not connect to the remote computer."

Remote desktop is installed on the main server, however I do not know how to enable it in server 2000 so that I can remote into it. Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back