Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop in WINXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live2Die

Technical User
May 5, 2004
CA
I wish to set up a remote connection from my machine to my parents machine, using remote desktop in Windows XP Pro

Both me and my parents have WINXP Pro and there are only software firewalls in between, No routers. When i try to connect via telnet to determine if a connection is possible on port 3389 this is the error i get

Could not open a connection to host on Port 3389: Connect Failed

I have Symantec software firewall, and they have Norton Firewall. I am not sure how to allow port 3389 to be forwarded I have tried a few things and they still do not work. Any ideas.

I have even created an account on my parents machine that is identical in login and password as what i use to logon to my machine. but if i try to go from my parents machine to mine it is unsuccesful, but it is also true if i go the other way from my PC to my parents. No success.

Thanks In Advance

Life is a mind game
Wanna Play?

You don't need to forward port 3389 as neither of you is using a router. You only need to unblock port 3389 in your parents' software firewall. Read the documentation for information on how to do this. Or use Google.

Also, do you have the WinXP SP2 firewall turned on? And finally, are you sure your parents' ISP isn't blocking port 3389?

thank you

Life is a mind game
Wanna Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back