Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop has exceeded the maximum number of allowed connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolas1987

Programmer
May 9, 2013
US
At my office we still use Windows 2000 Server standard edition.

After 2 users have connected remotely to the server, the following users get the following message "the system has reached its licensed logon limit. please try again later windows server 2000"

I understand that w2k allows up to 2 users to be connected to the server.

I would like to know whether there is a way of extending the users allowed limit to 3 or 4.

Thanks.

There are two modes for Terminal Services (as it is more correctly known on w2k), Remote Admin Mode or Application Mode.

Remote Admin mode does not require any extra licensing (i.e. cost) and is restricted to a maximum of 2 simultaneous connections. This is the two users you are talking about.
Application Mode, which would allow multiple connections requires a Terminal Server licensing server and purchase of licenses for each connecting client.

On W2k3 there is a workaround in Remote Admin Mode that allows a 3rd connection (by connecting to the server's console session)by using the /console flag for the mstsc command, but this does not work on W2K

Can you please be a bit more specific about the Application Mode?

Is my current server not a Terminal Server?
In the Application Mode do i also get a default of 2 connections so that i only buy the extra licenses? Or if i wanted to allow 4 simultaneous connections i would have to buy 4 licenses?

>Is my current server not a Terminal Server?

Well, not really, no ...

Let's have a quick overview for W2K:

Terminal Services is an optional component. When installed, it enables the "Terminal Server role" of your server. But this does not really make it a Terminal Server, because of the two modes the Terminal Services can be installed in: Remote Admin mode and Application Server Mode. Your server is really only a Terminal Server when Terminal Services are installed in Application Server mode (and note that the terminology changed for subsequent Windows server OS releases).

A quick overview of the two modes:

1) Remote Administration mode
Not really a terminal server. You can connect with a maximum of 2 sessions simultaneously, by default only for Administrators. This mode does not require additional licensing, and does not support multiple users running applications on the server.
2) Application Server mode
This is the real terminal server mode, i.e. your terminal server is now configured to handle multiple users, which run applications in a session on the terminal server. This mode requires a Terminal Services Licensing Server (this can be the same physical Windows server) and additional (paid for) licensing for all connecting users (TS CALs).

>Or if i wanted to allow 4 simultaneous connections i would have to buy 4 licenses?
As far as I recall, yes. And it is a CAL and a TS CAL you need

I know this worked in Win2K3, but have you tried accessing a direct console connection (which essentially gives you 3 connections). Although this has to be executed from the command prompt
mstsc /v:<servername> /console (or /admin)

>have you tried accessing a direct console connection

Already discussed in my first response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back