Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote desktop hangs thru VPN - home to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

vifa84

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2005
US
I am trying to connect to my office through a VPN. I can connect but for some reason, when using remote desktop it seems to hang intermittently. I start the VPN and it connects, I then enter my office ip in RDP and it connects. My office desktop comes up and I can work for 30 seconds or so. Then it hangs for 15 to 45 seconds, sometimes the network icon comes up in the upper right hand corner and then it seems to reconnect and work again for 30 seconds or so and over and over again. I can't use pcanywhere at all. It connects and then just hangs right away. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the way they have their firewall set up in freebsd.. Does anyone have any suggestions. I've tried connecting my home computer straight to the dsl modem, same thing. What's weird is I can connect from my office computer to home through remote desktop with no hanging at all, runs perfect. Of course, it's not running through the vpn. I don't need a vpn for outbound, just inbound to the office.

It seems like as long as you keep the curser moving when connected through the vpn and their is activity, it stays connected. For example: if i open a word document when I connect and keep scrolling through the document it stays connected. but if i stop for a few seconds and the activity light on the modem stops, it hangs for up to a minute or more.

Anyone have any ideas? Iv'e been screwing with this for a couple weeks and I can't really find anyone with the same problem.

This is just and updae to add a little more info. When I connect up to the vpn and I ping my office computer I am getting packet loss sometimes 2 out of 4 sometimes 3. I wish I could get to someone elses computer to eleminate mine. But I have no trouble with my dsl internet traffic. When I'm not connected to the vpn and I ping sites, i get no dropped packets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back