Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop - Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

twigs1981

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
US

I'm trying to use a xp client to connect to a NT4 server and as most users I can connect, however the users I need to connect can't it gives the following error:

"Remote Connection might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept connections"

but if I log on as another user with the same type of profile (default) I have no problem connecting...

any ideas?

thanx,
twigs1981

The error message is a poor one.

The issue is that the NT machine is missing as local usernames and passwords (or, you are using blank or empty passwords) the problematic users.

I'm using blank user name and password for both the sucessful and unsucessful connection attempts...

XP hates blank or empty passwords.

Revise your usernames and give them valid passwords.

Check the NT server that there is an entry with full passwords for all possible remote users.

I think it would help if you specified how you are trying to connect.

. If using the checkbox on the logon screen to acccess a remote domain, check the passwords used for the DUN connection.

. If using RAS, the issues I raised earlier apply.

. If using TS in some form, or Citrix, be sure that the usernames with issues have certificates. You may have run out of certificate or licenses on the server.

well the problem with checking out the NT server is that we got it through a VERY recent aquisition and its in either (IN or TX) so we can't do much about checking the settings ourselves.

but we are trying to connect using the internet, through a proxy server.

I ran my answers by my boss and right now we are leaning towards deplition of certificates/licenses on the server.

thanks alot for your help! I'll be sure to post again when we know for sure.

thanks again,
twigs1981

Do some poking around the new wiki by the MS MVPs on RAS, RD and RS issues. Follow the links, and see if there is some small "gotcha" including licensing issues involved.
It is already a great resource, but many of the MVPs dealing with remote access issues are adding to the site constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back