Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Encryption Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

tranxhv

Programmer
Jan 28, 2004
CA
Help with XP please! I have a linksys router, and got the remote desktop to login and work perfectly. BUT after 30 seconds I get the following message and the session ends.

"Because of error in data encryption, this session will end. Please try connecting to the remote computer again."

I try to log on again, and the same thing happens after 10-30 seconds.

Microsofts web site is no help. Their solution is to keep logging back in. If anyone has any info, then please let me know, it would be of great help!!!

Thank you.

Go to the advanced tab in your linksys router, then filters, make sure PPTP Pass Through is ENABLED.

Hope it helps
anthony

I've had several of these lately within my LAN and I can't seem to find the reason. FWIW, I have not had it happen when I connect by IP address. It sometimes happens & sometimes not when I connect by name.

BTW, my suspicion is that the problem is related to one of the MS recommended updates - Maybe KB817778 or KB826942

It seems to be a problem with the linksys, similar problem with ssh too. Was OK with other router.

I have the same problem with Remote Desktop. I can access from an external Ip, and never get the error. "Because of error in data encryption, this session will end. Please try connecting to the remote computer again." When Im onsite and try to Remote to another computer, this is when I get the encryption error. Sometimes repeadetly. Anyone have any ideas with this one.

Thanks

Try an update to the router firmware.

For the BEFSRxx and BEFWSxx series: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/

For all others: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/

If this connection is to a Terminal Server, see:
If the connection is by DSL/PPoE, Bill Sanderson, MVP made the suggestion that it could be an MTU issue.
He recommended doing some testing--perhaps the tweak test at dslreports:

or MTU testing according to this KB article, between the endpoints:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back