Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Dilemma 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

powahusr

Technical User
Jan 22, 2001
US
I would like to utilize the “Remote Desktop” feature to establish a session with my
friends PC. After reading the literature, I think that there may be some issues.

- We both have Cable/Broadband connections to the internet; however we are not
part of a corporate network or anything like that, just a standard home Internet account.

How can we establish a connection? I understand that this is done through a VPN
connection; I do not think XP comes with VPN server software, or does it?

What do I need to do to make this happen?

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks for the post, however I already read it and from what I understand, the assumption is that the "Host" PC is part of a "corporate network", when I am talking two systems involved in a remote desktop selection are both in a home setting.

The article also indicates that a VPN connection needs to be setup so I found the following article on creating a VPN:

In this article, STEP 8 requires that you enter the name or address of the VPN server.

This is what I am unsure of. Is the system that you will be connecting to (Host), also be the VPN server? Or is the VPN server a different system, usually the case in a corporate network?

If the "Host" system can also be the "VPN Server", then is there any special software that I need to install, such as VPN Server software or something?

The reason I ask, is because I went by the instructions in the article and could not establish a VPN connection.

You do not need to be part of any network, nor do you need a VPN connection.

1. Discover what your public IP address may be. If there is no router involved (and your modem has no router feature): Start, Run, IPCONFIG /all will reveal a public IP address on both computers. (or click this link and look at the top of the page: )

2. Your router (if you use one) and your firewall settings must permit TCP Port 3389 to be open on both computers. You and your friend exchange this information.

3. Add as a new user on your machine your friends username and password. Have him do the same on his machine with your username and password.

4. right-click My Computer, Properties, Remote
Under the second box "Remote Desktop", check the box to enable remote access. Then click the button to add remote users and add your friend as the user. Have him do the same process, adding you as the user.

5. Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications, Remote Desktop Connection. Type in the IP from step #2 of your friend. Go ahead and make the connection. In this method, your friend's computer will be the Host, you the client. If your friend made the connection to you, your roles would be reversed.

There are additional options you might want to look at on the connection panel.

Thanks bcastner, setting this up was easier than I expected it to be.

Good info folks;
However - I would like to know - is this completely secure?
I mean atleast as secure as any other normal connection and whatnot. I know it's not a VPN (and by the way - how hard would that be, pretty tuff?) - but -
- do you open each other up to vulnerabilities that were not there before?
- just by enabling Remote Desktop?
- and would using a VPN be much much safer?
Thanks

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Techtippy4u,

There are two ways to use a Remote Desktop connection: either the client or the Web-based connection. In both cases the connection is encrypted with a 128-bit key, and to my knowledge has never been broken. Microsoft issued this KB article describing possible security flaws at various points in using Remote Desktop:
If that is a fair summary of the worst of its security flaws, then I think you can safely use the Remote Desktp features of XP without worry. I used to worry about the WebDav feature, but see this Technet Note from Microsoft:

The Remote Desktop Web Connection is a high-encryption, Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 5.0 client and uses RSA Security's RC4 cipher with a key strength of 40-, 56-, or 128-bit, as determined by the computer to which it is connecting. The Remote Desktop Web Connection uses the well-known RDP TCP port (3389) to communicate to the host. Unlike some other display protocols, which send data over the network using clear text or with an easily decodable "scrambling" algorithm, Remote Desktop Web Connection's built-in encryption makes it safe to use over any network—including the Internet—as the protocol cannot be easily sniffed to discover passwords and other sensitive data.

As a summary, to my knowledge nobody has busted the 128-bit encryption used by Microsoft for Remote Desktop connections.

Bill

well;
that most certainly clears that up for me.
Thank You
and touché with a star
[thumbsup]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back