Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote desktop connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2005
CA
Hi everyone - i am new to windows administration and am learning w2k3. I am wondering if there is any way to remote connect to a windows 2000 machine or even a windows 98 machine. If anyone knows this please let me know how this can be done. Thanks much.

Win98 you cant RDP into by default. Not too sure if M$ has a RDP client for 95 or 98.

Win2000 you can. You'll have to install the terminal services component in ADD/REMOVE Components.

Administrators are allowed only two RDP sessions at a time.

Once the terminal services component is installed, you'll have to start the service(if it isnt already started). You'll need a terminal service licencing server which you can install the same way through ADD/REMOVE Components.

you'll get 120 days to use terminal services w/o having to need a licence.

All this is just basic stuff, if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask.

"Users are like Prostitutes,..They need guidance"-Myself
A+,Network+,MCP+2000

alliknowisnetworking,

It sounds like helpdesk2005 is only asking about remote admin of a server. There are no licensing requirements in Admin mode -- only Application mode.

Windows 98 has no built-in remote control feature - VNC or DameWare is your best bet there.

You can connect remotely to a Windows 2000 SERVER machine - in Add/Remove Programs, add the Windows Component for Terminal Services and put it in Remote Administration mode. (Windows 2003 this is taken care of on the 'Remote' tab of My Computer-->Properties).

Hope this helps...

hey guys - thanks for the answers. Sorry i wasn't clear to begin with. I am trying to connect to a w2k professional box. I have been told over and over again that you can't that the ony thing that you can connect to is w2k server. Do you guys know if you can connect to a w2k professional box?

thank you.

Only with pcanywhere or radmin. 2000 Pro does not have a "host" function of remote connections.

As Claudek mentioned vnc. We use it here at work to remotely connect to clients.

And its FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

"Users are like Prostitutes,..They need guidance"-Myself
A+,Network+,MCP+2000

Thanks guys. i guess i'll use pc anywhere even though i don't like it...vnc is just terrible tho the lag time kills me :) thanks for all your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back