Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Connection - Unable to Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraumaTheCat

Technical User
Apr 1, 2004
US
Hello!
I have been trying, unsuccessfully, for three days to set up a Remote Desktop Connection between my work PC and my Laptop.

The Setup is as follows:

My work PC is connected through a Linksys BEFW11S4 router to an SBC Global DSL connection. I have assigned this PC a static IP address 192.168.xx.xx. So, I understand this is my LAN IP. The router then connects to the internet using a dynamic IP, which I understand to be my WAN IP. So, I have an address (username.dyndns.org) that gets updated with my PC's current IP and automatically connects me to that IP when I use the address. I have enabled port forwarding for port 3389 on my router and instructed it to forward to my PC's static IP. Now, when I try to connect. If my laptop is connected on my local network, I am able to use Remote Desktop Connection by connecting to username.dyndns.org. However, when I use a different internet connection (i.e. dialup, or my home dsl connection) and attempt to use Remote Desktop Connection, I get an error message that the client cannot connect to the remote computer because the computer might be busy or remote connection is not enabled. I can't speak for my computer as far as how busy he might be, but remote connection is definitely enabled. I've searched and searched for an answer on how to correct this and nothing has worked for me. If anybody out there has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them. Thanks.

Thanks so much for your reply bcastner. I'm not at my office yet, but I will check that out once I get there.

On another note, the strangest thing happened this morning. I have not changed any of my settings since my last failed attempts to connect using remote desktop, but this morning, for no good reason, I just clicked Connect on my laptop, and this time it worked. I am not sure what this means!!! I don't know if I just got lucky this time and will continue to have problems later. I am guessing it is something along the lines of what you are getting at with the dyndns and the WAN IP.... maybe it isn't always pointing to the right address, and that's where I run into trouble....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back