Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Connection to a Host on a Lan from outside the Lan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pictman

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2008
GB
Hi. How do I set up a remote desktop connection to a PC on my office network from my PC at home? Thanks for reading this.

If your PC is already listening and accepts remote conncetions from within the LAN, to add the remote connections you would need to forward the ports from your modem/router to your PC. This would be a one-one connection and I am assuming that this is adequate for your needs. I also assume you have access to the router and the authority to make this change.

You will need to be sure to take appropriate security measures. Remote Desktop Connections are one of the most commonly targeted services for exploit and if you do this, you will be targeted for attack. You can mitigate a lot of the risk by taking certain precautions, such as: using a firewall to only accept packets from your home and using key based authentication and turning off passwords.

Alternatively, depending on your needs, you may want to consider using a VPN and / or an application like Citrix which will let you run an application remotely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back