Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop connection is very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

krussell171

Programmer
Mar 15, 2003
US
I connect to my home pc using RDC and it is very slow. When i click the start menu, it is slow to come up. When i type my code, there is a delay before what i typed is displayed. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There will always be some delay. Assuming that you're using XP, in the RD connection dialog, check Options, Experience tab. Make sure your bandwidth setting is correct for the the slowest connection.

Even if you think you have a "fast" connection at home, most residential cable/DSL offerings are highly asymmetric. This means that even if passive, receive-mostly activities like web browsing and file downloading seem quick at home you can see very poor performance going the other way.

Even most dial connections are asymmetric. Typical 56K modems only support 33.6K at best "upstream" (back to the network). They were designed this way - the other end uses a different type of modem connected to the phone network differently so they can deliver closer to 56K back downstream to you (your home).

Most likely you're also violating your terms of service ("running a server") but some ISPs are more liberal than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back