Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Connection Error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leke

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2005
NG
Hi all,

I enabled remote desktop connection on my windows 2003 server to allow me to connect to from client on LAN.

It works for some days, it stop working stating this error whenever i tried to connect:

"The client could not connect to the remote computer
Remote connections might not be enabled or computer might be too busy to accept the connection. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection.
Please try connecting again later or if the problem persists see your network administrator."

I received reply message when I pinged using hostname and IP address.

Please your suggestion will be appreciated

I would doublecheck the firewall settings on that computer and make sure inbound RDP requests (port 3389 I believe) are allowed in. I would also make sure that you've got enough bandwidth between you and the terminal server, paying particular attention to packet loss.

Recently our wide area network connection had problems, where we had enough bandwidth to establish a WinVNC connection, but the clients on the other end were getting the same error you listed. I banged my head against that terminal server over half a day.

Once I realized that the machines at the remote office couldn't even log into the network here (which they normally can do, but don't) I started looking at how much bandwidth was available... and it wasn't much. At the busiest we had ~30Kbps instead of 1.5Mbps throughput... LOTs of packet loss.

I called our vendor for the T1 and they fixed the problem. Immediately the remote office was able to connect.

This is completely counter to what I know about RDP, which I thought was supposed to be able to operate over a 28.8k dialup connection without problems. I attribute this failure, where WinVNC worked, to great amounts of packet loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back