Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECT TO SBS LAN-WHICH IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deke99

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
US
This has me really confused over what I thought was a simple solution to my problem of connecting to my office workstation.
My Query first then description of systems

I need to connect my home computer to my office workstation and cannot figure out which ip address to use, and what else I may need to do. None of the web sites I have visited seem to have my situation or at least they are not confused like me.

SYSTEMS:
Home - I have 2 desktops each running windows xp pro. The DSL connection is handled by a D-Link router, so I am not using connection sharing. So far that gives me 4 ip's to chose from.

Office - I have a LAN running MS SBS the NT 4.1 version with all updates installed. All workstations are running Windows XP Pro. The DSL comes in to a D-Link switch, this is uplinked to a hub, and then to the server. I am using Connection Sharing for the LAN. This is where I really get confused because the switch has an ip address, the server has an ip addresses (internal) and my desktop has 2 ip addresses.

How in the world do I configure Remote Desktop or a VPN ??? Which IP address do I use and for which piece of Equipment, so I can connect from home through the switch, through the server, to my workstation.?????

Also the same question for my home network - which IP address ? Computer or router ?

Whoever takes this one on - You have my undying thanks and appreciation.

Thank you
Deke

The Dekeman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back