Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop & Local Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakatz

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2005
US
Anyone have any insight in the following issue:

I have a user working from home with a "local printer" connect via USB to her home PC. She connects to her office machine using "Remote Desktop Connection" and has "Printers" checked off under "Local Devices", but seemingly when she connects to her office machine, she does NOT have the option of printing to her home printer (the driver is not brought over to her office machine).

I was reading in the following MS KB article (see below), that the "printer redirection" feature seemingly only is meant to re-direct network printers (I guess COM ports are not an option).

Anyone have any idea (short of installing PC Anywhere and using it's "remote printer" feature) - to have the locally installed printer to be brought along on the remote connection?

What is the OS of the machine in the office that they are connecting to? If a Terminal Server then the problem could be that there isn't a server version of the printer driver available.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

I beleive it is a Windows XP Pro Desktop they are connecting to (at least, from the way the user is describing it, thats the way it sounds).

I was also just reading something on another site - do you think that the user might need "Administrator" privileges on their office desktop in order to bring to printer to that machine?

I have had this problem for a long time and don't want to install PCAnywhere. Our users use a VPN and then Remote Desktop to work from home. I think I've read that USB is not supported in local printing, which is fabulous since most everybody uses USB ports. It is not a great solution, but a workable one: I tell people to just email themselves the document they are working on to their home email, and then open it and print it. There must be a more elegant way.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back