Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote desktop across Site to Site VPN with ASA 5505

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnicho

Programmer
Jan 9, 2003
GB
Hi,
I have a Site to Site VPN established between two ASA 5505 firewalls. I can browse to network shares in the remote site and I can ping but I can't use Remote Desktop. Each time I try to connect, ICMP error messages appear in the log raised on the outside network address of my firewall yet I'm trying to RDP to the private network of the remote site. According to the site to site configuration I thought all traffic between the two networks would be unrestricted.

Prior to the two ASA5505s we had a PIX 501 at one end. Remote Desktop worked fine.

Any suggestions what I need to do to get RDP to function?

Regards
Craig

I've just discovered that if I run RDP from an XP VM within my network it connects no problem. The problem is occurring when I try to connect from my Windows 7 host.

windows 7 firewall on?

if not, also disable the service.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

No. The Windows firewall is off in all cases:

This works
RDP 6.1.7600 > Win 7 Ent x64 > PIX 501 > Site 2 Site VPN > ASA 5505 > remote network

This fails
RDP 6.1.7600 > Win 7 Ent x64 > ASA 5505 > Site 2 Site VPN > ASA 5505 > remote network

This works
RDP 6.0.6001 > XP SP3 > ASA 5505 > Site 2 Site VPN > ASA 5505 > remote network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back