Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote debugging msvcmon and VB 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDHills

Programmer
Jan 24, 2007
US
I'll start with the error I'm getting, then work on how I arrived at it.

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging. The machine cannot be found on the network"

let me briefly say that I've debugged a LOT of C++ code this way in the past, it's just been a while and this is the first time trying with VB (I have, and am still searching the web for answers and if I find, I'll post)

I'll refer to the machine that I'm remoting to as REMOTE1 and my machine with the IDE and compiler as LOCAL1

First, I copied msvcmon.exe msvcr71.dll NatDbgDM.dll and NatDbgTLNet.dll to REMOTE1 and executed the command "msvcmon -anyuser -tcpip" on REMOTE1

I then created a simple vb time program on LOCAL1 and copied time.exe to c:\temp\time.exe on REMOTE1

I then set the properties of the time project, configuration proerties/debug/
start external program [ c:\temp\time.exe ]

start options/working directory [ c:\temp ]

selected [x] Use remote machine [ REMOTE1 ]

[x] unmanaged code debugging is checked (default)

when I hit, on LOCAL1, RUN DEBUG, it says the error

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging. The machine cannot be found on the network"

And yet, I can ping REMOTE1, I can access it via \\REMOTE1
I've even tried it's IP address too.. to no avail. Anyone have more experience and can slap me up the head with a couple of DUHs! ;)

thanks for reading this far and for any time you might spend looking at this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back