Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote control Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

duster123

Technical User
Jun 21, 2006
GB
is there a open source software out there that i can use on a windows client to remote into a linux server? similar to microsoft rdp?

Or you can use a Windows X server (Exceed/X-Win32/Cygwin/etc.) to display a desktop, or VNC (e.g. which runs an X server on the remote host and transmits it to your VNC client using an efficient protocol similar to RDP.

Annihilannic.

you would be much better off with webmin

RhythmAce: I would encourage you to put a few more sentences behind your statement. A newbie or someone unfamiliar with webmin might not factor security risks that I feel exist with web-enabling a full-root equivalent interface versus using SSH.

I would raise the same concerns about using vnc without SSH to protect the transport.

Of course, if security isn't a concern for the OP then I'm just pissing in the wind.

D.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

RhythmAce: I would encourage you to put a few more sentences behind your statement. A newbie or someone unfamiliar with webmin might not factor security risks that I feel exist with web-enabling a full-root equivalent interface versus using SSH.

I would raise the same concerns about using vnc without SSH to protect the transport.

Of course, if security isn't a concern for the OP then I'm just pissing in the wind.

D.

First of all, the question wasn't about security. That not withstanding, it goes without saying that anyone hosting a public server should make security a top priority. As for webmin, I find it very secure. It can be configured to use SSL encryption and you can choose any port you want it to listen on. To prevent bot attacks from trying to guess your password, you can set the number of failed attemps before that client gets blocked. You can also set it to only allow access from one ip address. It can use any type of authentication under the sun. If all that isn't enough, you can set a range of time the darn thing will even run. Sorry for not adding these lines to my original post but I was only making a suggestion on something he might want to look into. He wanted something "remote control", remember?

Yup, I remember. I'm pleased and appreciative that you took the time to share your whole base of experience. I really feel like the whole story is told now.

I get concerned that noobies might drive by a thread like this and perceive that guidance to "install vnc or webmin" is a definitive, appropriate step without considering the risks.

Thanks RA, for humoring an old fool!
D.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

I do not like webmin but it does a lot of good in moving people to linux without scaring the hell out of them.

I also see webmin as a security risk so what I would recommend is to tunnel port 10000 through SSH port using PuTTY on windoz.

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

I don't see SSL as less secure than SSH and I doubt that there's a significant advantage in double-encrypting the traffic.

I would suggest disallowing root's login remotely, including Webmin and other utilities, and defining users with appropriate roles. It's important to also remember that Webmin is a management utility, but it's not a remote-control solution.

Webmin port is known and can be subject to attacks.

If you close it you are also less vulnerable to DOS attacks on 10000.
SSH port is also known but SSHD has got better ways of protecting itself, all many of them available on several posts in this forum.

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

I have half a mind to install webmin, drop my firewall and post both the ip address and port and use nothing but webmin's security then sit back and see how long it takes you guys to get in. [yawn]

No doubt there are a few who would take advantage of a man with half a mind.

is anyone aware of a Webex server equivalent that runs on linux?

I agree with Daver on the point about Webmin Security. It is afterall, it is a web interface which runs ontop of a webserver.

That means its an application ontop of a webserver running with root perms (or even suexec - i dont know the ins and outs of webmin).

SSH on the other hand is a secure protocol that can be configured to be extremely secure as a remote access protocol. I would have problems recommending Webmin to anyone, ssh on the otherhand :)

Then again, anyone who leaves management interface control down to the OS itself rather than seperate firewalls is asking for a kicking :)

Afterall, thats what VPN tunnels and proper firewall rulesets and thoughtout security policys are for.

I'm sure Webmin has its place, but from a security point of view, if your not smart enough to configure the box and the services running on it - your not as likely to be as concerned about security.

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back