Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

arios2mx

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
MX
Hi!

I just was wondering if I could access my Linux server from different places using my internal modem?

I want to use a ssh connection I do not have telnet sessions enabled.

How could I do this??
What program do I have to use?

Thanks in advance

Alex

Internal modems are not widely supported in Linux. I would be much better to get an external one.

It is possible to dialup to your computer. You need to set up pppd and an ppp account for that but it's way to complicated to explain here.

It a lot easier if you just want to login because you don't have to setup pppd and IP.

Search for serial/modem login or pppd dialin

Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

We use a 3com intenral pci modem that works. The kernel installs it as ttyS4 by default. Enable the port and you should be able to dial into it.

hi
u can enable telnet through ntsysv and check telnet after that chkconfig telnet on will enable it in runlevels 3 4 5

Hi!
Thanks all of you

I was searching on internet, some places mentioned Telnet connections aren't so secure, so I wanted to access my linux server from several places using ssh connections.

I have SecureCRT, on the configuration option I could use a TAPI connection but I don't know if this could solve my request.

Thanks again.

Best regards Alex

If you need secure telnet from a windoZe box, try putty, or (my choice) terraterm pro with SSH extensions.
Both free.

Telnet is mentioned as being insecure because all communications take place in plain text. SSH is more secure since it encrypts the communication (also there are less vulnerabilities in the server side). I personally see no reason to offer a telnet service on a modern network - ssh clients are common enough and do everything a telnet session can.

It sounds like there is a bit of confusion about how you want to connect. People above have outlined two options either directly dialing up, or using the internet.

Using the internet is pretty easy - simply make sure you are connected, record your ip address:
#/sbin/ifconfig
will tell you this.

Then you start your SSH server:
#/etc/init.d/ssh start

from the remote end you then connect with any SSH client in the same way you connect to any other server.

The down side of connecting over the internet is if your ISP drops your connection. While you can set the computer to redial if this happens, you'll get a different IP address.

If you really need a reliable way to connect to your computer, then directly dialing it and having the modem answer is the best option. The trouble is it isn't easy to set up. I haven't done it in a while, but try playing around with mgetty (i think) which should give you a standard login screen when the computer answers the phone.

HTH
--e

Alex, I think I got a bit confused reading your post. It sounded like you wanted to dial-in to your computer. If that is the case then telnet and ssh makes no differece because it's a private point-to-point connection.

Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Hi!

Morsing: You are right what I want to do is dial-in my server.

I work for several customer on different places.

Sometimes I need to update my mysql database.

Sometimes I need to download some driver, program or patch from my server

All my clients are using WindowsXX so I think that If I use secureCRT from my client's place I could be able to access my server.

So I wanted to use ssh connections because my server will be available to everyone that dials my telephone number.

I was using a web based system but I am using ISDN connection and sometimes my ISP drops connection so my IP changed. And sometimes my client's workstation doesn't have Internet access but a modem installed.

Thanks.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back