Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote connection to SQL Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

drallabs

Technical User
Mar 2, 2006
US
I have attempted to remotely connect to a SQL Express database server via SQL Server Enterpricse Management Studio using windows authentication but I get the following error message:

"an error has occured while establishing to the server. When connection to SQL Server 2005 this failuer may be caused bu the fact under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - could not open a connection to SQL Server)(MS SQL Server, error:2)"

I checked the default settings of the remote Express databaes server and the setting permit remote connections, we dont use a fire wall and the browser settings are set to automatic. Is there any additional info I need in order to get this connection established?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Do you have enabled TCP/IP in configuration SQL server? Are you sure port 1433 is not blocked and service is running?

Yes I have checked the TCP/IP, the firewall is disabled, the service is running and browsing has been enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back