Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Connection to Exchange and RRAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kublakaun

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2002
CA
Can anyone shed any light on why I have a user who is running Windows 2000 Pro SP3 with Outlook 2000 in a remote office (the remote office has a VPN to Head office where the Exchange 5.5 server is) cannot connect to the Exchange server? He recently crashed his system (blue screen) while installing PCAnywhere host which we recovered from by entering into safe mode and uninstalling the PCAnywhere. The problem now, though, is that he gets an 'unable to contact Exchange server' error message when he launches his outlook despite being able to ping the IP of that box and being able to browse to the Exchange box and see its shares from the run-line. I even removed and re-added his Exchange profile to that box. I re-installed Office and Outlook and installed any and all patches that I could find for Office and 2K but nothing helps. What is even more confounding is that his remote dial in, and VPN connections do not work anymore. His user profile will still dial in successfully from another machine as will his VPN connection but no one can connect to Exchange, or RRAS from his machine (regardless of the user profile). All IP/DNS/WINS settings are correct and he gets all ICMP/UDP/TCP/IP traffic fine. I found a couple of newsgroups that suggested uninstalling and re-installing the TCP/IP stack but no one who tried this said it worked and he is getting TCP/IP traffic anyway.

Anyone have any other suggestions that I can try? He is a sales guy in Toronto and Head office (IT department) is in Edmonton so if we could avoid a reformat and re-install it would save a lot of time and hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back