Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Connection Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2004
US
I have an upcoming (Accounting) application where I was going to use a Terminal Server with 5 user licenses.
Then the client asked about growth possibilities. First he wanted to know about adding 10 more remote users, then he asked about 20 users.

My question is how many users can I realistically expect one Terminal Services Server to handle?
When should I consider a second?
When should I abandon Terminal services in favor of something like Citrix?

The amount of users depends on the specs of the hardware and also on what apps you are running on there. We have some really old servers that we manage to run about 15 users on.

The biggest advantage that Citrix may offer is that it will allow you to add more Citrix servers to 1 farm and you will be able to load balance users among different servers. This should pretty much resolve any future growth issues, because you can just keep adding servers to the farm.

Check with the Citrix vendor and ask for license and future expansion issue, they should be able to explain to you well.

So far I find out Citrix terminal server is pretty good remote access software that have good configuration on user access, etc. It's popular remote access software in corporate world.

:)
picoHat
Home Network, Wireless Network and Computer Networking Made Easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back