Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote connection can't find dynamic ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms756485

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
KR
Hi. I'm using bellsouth dsl at home and an work with winXP Pro. I'm trying to connect from work to home. Configuration at work is: Internet>Westell modem>Server PC>d-link router> rest of network.

I can connect using remote administration from one computer to another from within the companies lan (private ip's=192.168.1.1 through 10), but I can't connect from home using the westell modems public ip address: 67.33.66.115.

Just can't figure it out. Tried to create a VPN over the internet too, but can't connect that way either.

This is first time trying to set this up so any help concerning the obvious that I'm missing would be veryy appreciated.

Thanks, ms756485.

What is the 'Server PC' in the above configuration? If it is performing some firewall or proxy function, you will have a difficult time at best.

what are you trying to do?
a. dial up a connection from home to work
b. or work to home?

if a.) you need to create a new connection which accepts an incoming connection (XP work pc) and create a dial-up networking in the home pc?

if b.) please tell me what OS are you running at home and how do you connect to the internet LAN or DIAL-UP?

Thanks for the replies...

Smah: The Server PC is just that, a PC that everyone connects to the dsl modem for internet access - they also use it to store and access various files - it's basically the bridge that allows the other seven computers in the network to share resources such as printers, DSL, files, folders, and programs.

The D-link router is off to the side so to speak. Instead of having the switch (d-link) between the dsl modem and the rest of the computers, I have the dsl modem connected directly to the server...which then just plugs into the switch along with all the other computers.

This is the first network I've put together and I've tried different arrangements concerning the dsl modem the switch and the pc's, and the way I have it seems to be the only way ICS works for everyone.

The router is unmanaged so I can't configure it. It's a D-Link 24+: it doesn't have a regular phone jack in it, so I can't put it between the phone line and the westell modem - I'm not sure if that would really do anything anyway!

The Westell modem is configurable and does have a setting that allows remote access; however, if there is no remote connection activity for 30 minutes, it will default to no remote access.

y2karlo:

The real problem is that the ip address specified by my Westell modem cannot be found by my remote (home) system By the way, both home and work are running Windows XP Pro SP1.

The modem actually has two IP's. One is internal and private, and the other is assigned it by a dhcp service on the bellsouth end. But, because this is an always one connection, that public IP rarely changes.

My connection at home is DSL too. So, I'm not trying dial up (although that might be a good idea), I'm actually trying to connect over the internet using two unrelated DSL connections.

I think I've said it all for now. Thanks a lot for reading all of this...and for the time you're taking in your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back