Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote connect to server via internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masali

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
SE
Is it possible to use some kind of remote desktop to let multiple users log in to the server and autostart a program and only let them run that program, and nothing else? If possible, how? and also is it neccessary to use Win2003 Server or is it possible with WinXPPro?

Best regards

Masali

If you trust RDP to secure your machine, just direct inbound port 3389 connections to that machine, and configure the users to only have access to that one program.

Win2k3 I heard was going to have a Citrix-like 'application hosting' in the V2 release of 2k3, but I heard that option has been pushed back to another release. Citrix was probably crying over the business they'll lose.

how do i configure users to have access to only that program?

Well, that's a good question. I would recommend making a guest user account and giving it only permissions to the files necessary to run the program you want, which could be pushed to that guest account via software distribution GPO.

Although, if I'm going to be recommending things, I suppose I would have to recommend not putting an inbound RDP port on your network without using VPN software. I would also have to recommend against letting people into your systems who you only trust to run one program on that system.

Maybe you'll be better off programming a web app that achieves your goal.

If you want multiple users, you'll need a terminal server... Windows xp only allows one user at a time to connect, and even then locks out the desktop for anyone working with the machine itself...

Terminal server will force the issue of a user only having access to one program and this can be accomplished in a couple of ways.

When you set up a user (either domain environment or member server), you can tell the server to load a program when the user logs in. Or else you can give them bare access to the desktop with only one icon for the program you want to use...

Good luck.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back