Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote computer is not available?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogelda

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
IL
I have a share directory on my computer (call it MyDir)
I have defined with "map network drive" on the same computer drive M: as \\MyComp\MyDir
At the begining everything is fine, but after building some project in VC++ 5 , I'm getting following message when I'm trying to access drive M:
"Remote computer is not available"
Of course, the build fails because of it.
Weird, no?
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance.

I may have got this wrong but why have you mapped a drive letter to your own drive?

Verify that all services set to automatic are started and that file and print sharing are still enabled in your network properties.

if I read you problem correctly mycomp is acting as a server with the share mydir??? if this is correct then try pinging mycomp. go to the command prompt and type "ping mycomp -t" you should get a reply with some time intervals continuously. If you get anything else eg host unreachable etc there is something wrong with mycomp.

also try

\\ipaddress\share

if there is a name resolution problem this should get round it

rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back