Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Command on Linux using INDY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimSNL

Programmer
Sep 11, 2001
AU
Hello.
I am writing a little utility to backup some data files from a linux PC and copy them to a local Win PC.
I have worked out how to transfer the file using an FTP component and this is working well.
How can I execute a tar command on the linux PC to collect the backup files I need? Is there an INDY component that will allow me to execute the tar command remotely? I thought I may be able to use the telnet component, but I am not sure.
Any suggestions please.

---------------------------------------
The maggotts always win.

I haven't used it, but you could try using the INDY rexec component. You'll have to have an rexecd daemon running on the unix/linux host. Rexec will let you execute a script or program on the remote host and typically, it will return status of the job. Once it returns, you could use the ftp component to transfer the file created by the remote job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back