Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote backups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2004
US
I have be 8.6 I have 2 servers running windows server 2k
I moved all the shared network data from server a to server b for disk space reasons...

server a has the tape drive and the be 8.6 installed on it.

am I correct in saying if I want to backup the data which is now on server b I will also have to move the tape drive and the BE 8.6 to server b as well?

Veritas does not make a backup agent for 8.6 for windows server 2k (what I was told by a rep)

Or is there any other solution..I need to have the network data backed up to tape nightly

If you licensed for a remote agent then just install the remote agent on server b. If your core 8.6 server lices is standard and your trying to backup a remote W2k Advanced or DataCenter server then no it wont work. All depend on you licening when you goto help and about.
Yes ..veritas no longer sells CAL's for 8.6. Its no longer supported.

My situation looks much like junkdangler´s.
I have BE 8.6 server edition and I have the exchange agent.

I have the backup drive on one server (media server) where I keep documents, and other important stuff.
I´ve got my Exchange on another server. Which would be nice to backup.

I installed remote agent and stuff, tried to do it by the book. Agent service is running on Exchange server.
But all remote servers are greyed out in the backup selection list. I can backup all workstations but no servers.

Am I facing an impossible solution?

I guess I didn´t really understand stevet3´s explanation.
Is this possible at all, if so, what licenses do I need?

Maybe you should check to make sure you indeed installed Exchange agent, and not a full working copy of BEX... This happened to me once, I asked a trainee to install BEX RA on one machine, and he installed the ful copy and it killed everything... What I normally do for my Exchange is use a script that will backup the *.bkf file, then BEX goes and gets it and backs it up to tape... You would need the Exchange agent to backup your Exch. server...

Hope this helps...

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

OK

I just found my Exchange resources from the media server.
Through "user-defined selections"

But looking at all mailboxes they say 0 (zero) objects (and MB´s.)

Is this the way it should be?

Which folders do I choose then?
(Yes, I tried to find it in the forum, but the perfect answer is still to be found.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back