Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Assistance "A program could not start.Please try again."

Status
Not open for further replies.

remain

Programmer
Aug 28, 2003
US
I'm trying to get remote assistance to work between two computers (so that I can use it on the rest of the computers in the office). When I try to offer assistance, it lets me to connect to the other computer and then chose which users' session I want to help. I chose one and click start remote assistance and a message box pops up that says:

"A program could not start.Please try again."

I have my user and the user I'm currently trying to set up listed as helpers on both computers ("<domain>\<username>"). If it matters both computers were set up using an image that we'd made of the operating system to just be able to flash the hard drive on there. I'd heard somewhere that that may be an issue and that there was a way around it

Thanks!

I have also been experiencing the same problem with Windows XP SP2 with Novell Client for Windows 4.9sp1.

I came across something which related to the actually SID changer software being used, we used ghostwalk.

Cheers!

XP SP2 has a problem (feature?) where the firewall blocks the necessary programs and port for remote assistance. See KB article 555179.

Dan

I have expierenced the same problem. Found a article from Symantec saying that a new version of ghstwalk.exe would fix but it did not. I end up using sysprep.exe (MS tool) to use for generation of SIDs and now everything works good. The only problem is how do I get the 300 computers that ghstwalk.exe was used on to work? Any ideas?

You've probably worked around this by now but for anybody still desperately searching for an answer, I was experiencing the same problem and found the answer from a trainer on an SMS2003 training course.
Just type "sessmgr -service" from a command prompt and then reboot. It generates or at least updates a file called "sessmgr.setup.log" in the Windows directory.
The file indicates that the local user "Help Assistant" and the sessmgr service have been updated.
Anyway once this command was entered everything in the remote assistance world worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back