Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Agent won't install on server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pqc15

MIS
Jan 27, 2004
US
BE9.0 on W2K. Trying to push to NT4 server.

I can get remote agent to load, but it won't install and the service doesn't show up. It doesn't report any errors.

On another server, I get the windows installer returned error code 1631

Have you checked the serial/license number thing? This was a problem for me--same symtoms--I had to make sure the correct remote license number was typed in and highlighted before the install process. This is a quote from the Veratas manual, "Serial numbers are not required to install the Remote Administrator." However, that puppy will not work until you do use the correct serial number!

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
David Tracy
dba: Tall Clipper Ships
Clifton, Arizona 85533
tracys@vtc.net

See if on the first server if you run "netstat -an | more" from command prompt. In Local Address column, look for TCP port 10000. If you see that but the Backup Exec remote agent is not installed, there is your problem. The remote agent listens on port 10000. If some other app is listening on that port, then the remote agent will not install nor start if it does install.

RE: the second server. You can look up 1631 to find out what it means. Go to DOS and type: net helpmsg 1631.

You need to reinstall Windows Installer on that server. Possibly re-apply the service pack.

I beleive that there is a fix for this by upgrading to version 9.1.
Its on Veritas site ( i don;t have the link handy though )

I think that the version 9.0 agent does not install on nt4 machines. I am not sure about upgrading to veresion 9.1. but would like to know if it works. I believe we have windows 2000 on our servers now.

9.0 or 9.1 will install on NT 4.0 - long as it as SP6 which includes windows installer 2.0. Best bet is to install the remote agent manually. COPY C:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\agents\RANT32 folder from media server to the remote machine. Open a command prompt to the rant32 folder and type setupaa.cmd for remote agent only or setupaofo.cmd for remote agent plus AOFO. It should take about 30 seconds before returning to command prompt. QDOG is right...make sure nothing is using port 10000 -- certain accounting packages and document imaging software use that port.

Quote: "Have you checked the serial/license number thing? This was a problem for me--same symtoms--I had to make sure the correct remote license number was typed in and highlighted before the install process. This is a quote from the Veratas manual, "Serial numbers are not required to install the Remote Administrator." However, that puppy will not work until you do use the correct serial number!"

Question: Is there somewhere the serial is entered on the client, or is it only entered in the serial entry box during installation? I have Remote agent serials entered, but it still won't give me access to anything but manually shared drives/folders on the remote machines. They DO have the remote agent installed and the service is running.

[To FlyBoyDave]

The only place I've found to enter the serial number is in the install entry box. That's about all I know about installing the remote agent.

Sorry I don't have more information.

Best Regards,
David Tracy
dba: Tall Clipper Ships
Clifton, Arizona 85533
tracys@vtc.net

I had the same problem when I was updateing to 9.1. Veritas couldn't figure it out. But, after i got off the phone (9 hrs) I tried looking at the event loggs on the remote server. The problem is usually one of two things. Either the profile is corrupt, or you might get an error that says "invalid charicture in the my documents folder. For the first one just delete the profile and re-login. For the second go into regedit and search for "my documents". You should see one of the folders with the % sign in the path. Delete the entire user. Mine was %Username%\my documents... or something like that. When I deleted that whole profile it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back