Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Agent service keeps 'Starting' 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keimpe

Programmer
Oct 1, 2002
NL
Hi All,

I use Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 for Windows Servers and cannot make backups because the service called "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers" has the status "Starting" all the time. And since the "Backup Exec Job Engine" is dependent on the Remote Agent service, I cannot make any backups. And worse, I cannot stop this process of a service saying it's 'starting'! For days on end it just says 'Starting'.

Is this a known problem?
Thank you for your thoughts!

Greetings,
Keimpe

I would probably say that your server is using port 10,000 (which is the default port for remote agent) with another program.

The way to check - with the remote agent stopped, can you telnet to port 10,000 on the server? If it does work - change the default port assignment in the services file - as per technote -

Hi Justin,

thank you for replying! Unfortunately, I know nothing of Telnet. Could you give me some instructions on how to check port 10.000 using Telnet?

Thank you!
Keimpe

keipme

from a DOS prompt from any PC on your network type

telnet <servername or ip address> 10000

if you get a connection ,change the port as per the technote.

Hi Justin,

thanks for being so helpful. Unfortunately, telnet could not make a connection, so I guess the port thingie is not the problem. I have setup two servers almost identical, and one of them is giving me this problem. The main difference between the two servers is that one of them is running Winroute Lite. I'll play around with those settings a little bit and let you know what happened. Ofcourse, if you have any more suggestions, please let me (us) know.

Greetings!
Keimpe

Justin (and other interested readers),

after rebooting and checking the entire harddisk for errors everything works just fine again! (I hate it when this turns out to be the solution, although I'm very glad the problem's solved). Thanks for thinking with me!

Keimpe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back